Each year, The Manitoba Teachers’ Society sponsors five local teachers, under the Canadian Teachers’ Federation’s Project Overseas, to work in developing nations to improve their education systems. Each year, over 50 Canadian teachers spend their summers working with colleagues in Africa, Asia and the Caribbean. Based on requests from overseas partners of the CTF, teams are formed in January with service taking place the following July or August.
Application criteria include:
- be a member of a provincial or territorial teacher organization that supports Project Overseas
- hold a valid teacher’s certificate
- have completed at least five full years of teaching in Canada by July 2019
- be a Canadian citizen
- be in excellent health and able to work in developing country conditions
- show evidence of flexibility, mature judgement, skills and a strong willingness to put the team and project needs above personal needs
- hold a Canadian passport valid until at least March 2020 (proof that a passport application has been made will be accepted)
The application deadline for Project Overseas 2019 is October 30, 2018. Application forms can be obtained by contacting Bobbi Taillefer at the Manitoba Teachers’ Society (191 Harcourt St., Winnipeg, MB, R3J 3H2) or by email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
In the past few years a number of current and former SRTA members have been involved with Project Overseas, including Karen Smit and Francois Remillard of Ecole St. Norbert Immersion.