A message from SRTA President Jonathan Waite:
To all of our members,
Welcome back! On behalf of the Executive of the Seine River Teachers’ Association, I hope that your summer has given you the opportunity to relax, refresh, and reflect. As we are all getting set to begin a new school year, I would like to make note of the following pieces of information:
- Each school/workplace is asked to elect a representative(s) to the SRTA council. We meet five times in 2022-2023, starting with the first council meeting of the year on September 27th. That meeting includes an information component in the afternoon starting at 1:00 pm. We would ask that the names of the representative(s) be sent to President Jonathan Waite no later than Monday, September 12, 2022, so that arrangements can be made for the meal (provided) and substitute coverage (paid by SRTA).
- The SRTA PD Fund is open to all members. The guidelines are relatively similar to last year, with the re-introduction of funding for Out-of-Area PD opportunities for this coming school year. As was the case for the past few years, we are only accepting applications through our website this year. The documents and application forms are at https://www.srta.ca/PD.
- The SRTA Wellness fund will open to applications from all schools/workplaces later this school year, and will remain open until February 28, 2023, for activities that take place by May 30, 2023. More information will come to Council Representatives in late September or early October. Activities need to be approved before reimbursement is processed. Questions can be sent to Wellness Chair Rebecca Brown (email@example.com).
- The SRTA is hosting a Welcome Back Trivia Night on Thursday, September 22, 2022 at Royal Pizza (1500 Dakota St., Winnipeg). The event is free for members, and individuals and teams need to register by September 19. A poster for this event was provided to each school earlier today, and posters for any other social events put on by SRTA will be sent to schools via Council Representatives throughout the year.
- If you are not on our SRTA email list, please send your personal, non-SRSD email address to firstname.lastname@example.org or sign-up at https://www.srta.ca/srta-email-list/. Email addresses will be kept private and confidential. We use Mailchimp for email distribution.
- We also ask all Members to ensure that they are signed up for their Manitoba Teachers’ Society MyProfile account. Please visit https://memberlink.mbteach.org to get registered and contact MTS directly at 1-800-262-8803 if you encounter issues with your account.
- MTS Resources are available for Orange Shirt Day (September 30). AS schools will be closed on September 30, we encourage all members to wear orange on September 29 to honour residential school survivors. For more information on this, visit the MTS website. We are coordinating a bulk purchase of orange shirts from Union Proud (our supplier for the past few years) so if you want to purchase your own shirt, visit https://www.srta.ca/orangeshirt by Friday, September 9, 2022.
If there are any other questions, concerns, suggestions, or feedback, please do not hesitate to drop me an email or call/text 204-270-0215. Have a great start-up and I look forward to seeing you at your schools or at a social event this year!
In solidarity, for each of you and for each other.
Jonathan Waite, SRTA President